Below is another post I saved that I’d written three years ago. I still think it is so relevant, and I’m sure many of you will be able to relate to some of these key lessons I learned from my very first heartbreak.
We have all had that one person we swore we would never stop loving. In my case, I wasn’t really in love with my first “love” at all, but I could have sworn I was at the time. He was definitely my first real heartbreak, and I went through a lot with him over the years. Looking back, it was definitely not a healthy relationship, but I learned a lot from him. I remember feeling like I was going to die from the sadness I was feeling at the time. We all go through it, and we all get out of it at some point in our lives. This list I compiled is all of the lessons my ex taught me:
1. People will treat you with the amount of respect you treat yourself with.
2. Getting back together with an ex usually doesn’t work. If it didn’t work the first time, chances are it won’t work this time either.
3. If you don’t trust each other, your relationship will never be successful. It might sound harsh, but it’s true. Without trust, you have nothing. If you can’t get over a past betrayal, then you are better to just move on. I learned this the hard way.
4. It’s normal to miss the person after you break up. This is not enough of a reason to get back together.
5. Trying to be friends afterwards does not work. You are used to having a romantic relationship. You most likely won’t be okay with seeing them with somebody else. Don’t fool yourself.
6. Don’t rush into another relationship until you are ready. Take your time, or you will just end up hurting someone else.
7. Never settle for less than you deserve. Of course, no relationship is perfect, but don’t be with someone just to be in a relationship.
8. You will do things you thought you would never do. We all do crazy things when we think we are in love.
9. Jealousy ruins relationships. Either way, if you feel the need to look through your significant others phone or computer, you shouldn’t be with them.
10. When one person finally moves on, that’s it! It’s scary. At a certain point, one of you will move on, and when that happens there is no going back. It will feel awful, but you’ll become stronger from this.
Now it’s your turn! I want to hear what you learned from your past loves.
*come follow me on instagram at @victoria_secretxo for daily updates & inspiration!