Mac n cheese is the ULTIMATE comfort food in my opinion. There is nothing better than a bowl of creamy, cheesy pasta. I wish it wasn’t super fattening so I could make it more, but it’s still such a nice treat when I do. I have perfected MY version of mac n cheese and want to share the recipe with you guys today. In my opinion, the secret to the perfect mac n cheese is a using a roux, a variety of cheeses, and nutmeg. The mushrooms and chives give it a nice touch, but aren’t necessary if you would rather leave them out. Let me know if you guys end up trying this recipe and what you think of it!
time: 20 min. yield: 4 Servings
- 8 oz. uncooked small shell pasta (you could also use macaroni- up to you!)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups of sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup of white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups of milk
- 1 package of Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped small
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp fresh garlic
- Boil a large pot of water with salt. When the water comes to rolling boil, add your pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Slowly stir in the flour and whisk. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Slowly add in the milk, whisking constantly. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir.
- Slowly add in your shredded cheese and stir well until fully combined with the sauce.
- In a small frying pan, melt butter and add garlic. Cook for 1 minute. Add in the mushroom and cook on low-medium heat until browned. Add mushrooms to sauce, if desired.
- Add the pasta to sauce and mix well. Serve, and top with fresh chives, if desired.
*come follow me on instagram at @25thoughts_ for daily updates & inspiration!
*have a look at my recipes for more delicious and easy ideas!