Do you find yourself to be an organized person? If not, you’ve come to the right place.
It’s safe to say I’ve been a “planner” basically since I was a kid. There is something about being organized that makes me feel so much more put together and in control of my life. My parents joke because when I was younger, anytime my room was a mess, they knew that also meant my life was a mess.
Throughout the years, I have tried many, many organization strategies. Some have worked great for me, and some not so much.
Today, I’m sharing with you the things that I have found work most effectively for ME to stay organized (broken down by monthly, weekly, and daily tasks). Let me know if you give any of these tips a try, or what you do to stay organized.
things you will need:
- A blank, lined notebook (your choice what you use- Indigo has the most BEAUTIFUL lined notebooks)
*Click here for the Freebies I have made for you guys! Organization Freebies & Printables
- An agenda (again, up to you. I use a yearly agenda with a monthly spread & weekly spreads)
- Download some type of calendar app on your Smartphone. I use Actions by Moleskine.
*At the start of each month, or at the end of the previous month, I do the following things:
- Finances: I determine which days (that month) automatic payments will be deducted from my accounts, and what days I will be getting paid. I then note down these dates in my agenda. I also note any other major spending payments/ income in my agenda.
- Work: I work two jobs. For my Concierge job in Yorkville, I receive the schedule a month in advance. When I plan my month, I obviously jot down all of these dates in my agenda. When I receive my schedule for my other job (weekly), I add these dates into my agenda.
- Events: Look through the upcoming month. Write down any birthdays. Write down any anniversaries. Write down any events you’ve committed to. You get the picture. Write down everything that you already know is coming up within the next month in this wonderful agenda of yours!
- Goals: This is the best time to think about what your intentions are for the upcoming month. List out what you want to work on, and be specific. Do you want to lose weight? How much, and by when? Do you want to make more money? How much, and by when? Do you want to get a promotion? Which role? By when? In this post, I’m not going to specifically talk about why it’s so important to be specific (this could be a whole post on it’s own), but the gist is that not only is it clear to the Universe when you state your desires this way, but it also makes it more clear and tangible for yourself to know if you meet these goals or not. Whatever it is, list out what your goals are in this notebook for that month and BE SPECIFIC. Then, break them down and list out things you can do to make this goal become a reality. For example: If you want to lose 10 pounds that month, you could work out 4x a week and spent two days a week meal prepping healthy meals. Whatever it is for you, just make sure you are identifying tangible actions that you can implement into that month.
- Monthly To-Do: Besides listing your goals for the month, I also like to write down anything I’d like to focus on or try to get done within that month. It doesn’t have to be on a specific date, but you’d like to do it at some point. I find that doing this keeps me accountable and often prevents me from procrastinating on certain things. For example, on my list for October, I wrote down that I want to check out the new grocery store, Farm Boy. I also wrote that I want to go hike in Milton. These are things I’d like to do this month, but don’t need to necessarily be done on a specific date. Try this technique. I promise you, you’ll be so much more likely to actually DO these things, instead of just forever talking about doing them!
*I do the following things once per week (normally Sundays). Choose a day when you are off from work and make it a YOU day:
- Agenda: On Sundays, I only do one thing in my agenda. I look at the upcoming week. I review what my week will look like, and modify if need be. I may add things at this time, such as errands, meeting friends, shopping, etc. I also add any weekly goals I’d like to accomplish on the side bar in my agenda under “Top Priorities”. Most agendas you buy will have a section like this.
- Laundry: I’m sure you all do your laundry once a week. No need to explain this one.
- Cleaning: I clean my space once per week, and you should too. I do a deep-clean (mop, sweep, floors, etc.) twice per month. The cleaning I do once per week is more like an intense tidy. I like to vacuum my carpets, dust my room, throw out the trash, and just create a nice, livable, clean environment for myself. PS. Living in a TIDY AND CLEAN space will boost your mood 100%. I also clean my make-up brushes when I do this “clean”.
- Self Care/ Beauty Routine: I’m way more high-maintenance than most when it comes to this stuff, so most of you can probably skim right over this one. I do my nails, tan, pedicure and face mask once a week. Sometimes I’ll have a long, luxurious bubble bath. The point here is this: Whatever YOU need to do to feel amazing, do it. Do it ONCE a week, and don’t worry about it again for the rest of the week. This rises your vibration for the whole week.
- Meal Prep: I don’t do this EVERY week, but I try to as often as I can. When I do meal prep, I make healthy meals for the upcoming week and store them in the fridge. I do this for especially busy weeks. Click here to view some healthy, vegetarian recipes that are perfect for meal prep.
- Actions by Moleskine (App): As much as I like using pretty notebooks to keep track of my life, I also religiously use my Actions by Moleskin app. Like constantly. I think this app is PERFECT because it’s so easy to use and sorts your life day-by-day as a digital checklist. Once a week, I add all of the important things from my agenda into the app. Times I work, days I have plans, etc. As long as I have a general overview on the app, I’m good. It’s perfect for adding things on the go (without completely forgetting).
*These are the things I do on a DAILY BASIS that are by far the most important:
- To-Do List: I like to make my to-do list the night before. I list out all of the tasks I need to accomplish for the following day. You could also do it in the morning- it’s completely up to you. It will keep you on track with your day and will help you to outline how your day will look.
- Celebration List: This is an amazing ritual I got into just recently. I learned about the idea from my FAVOURITE influencer, author, & life-coach in the world, Cara Alwill Leyba. What she suggests you do is at the end of the day, write down all of the things you accomplished that day. Instead of focusing on all the things you DIDN’T do, celebrate what you DID do. I love this idea and so far it’s working out great for me. Give it a try. It’s a nice way to feel fulfilled and to end the day on a grateful note.
*Organization Freebies & Printables
- Agenda: I leave my agenda open on my desk all the time. I glance at it here and there, but it’s not something I religiously use on a daily basis. That’s why I do all the work BEFORE, so that I don’t have to spend time on it every day.
*Organization Freebies & Printables
- Actions by Moleskine: On a daily basis, this app is what I use the most. When I’m busy and running around all day, I don’t have time to be constantly looking at my notebook. This app comes in handy because I use it for shopping lists, errands, and so many other things. I never forget to do something in a day, because this app ALWAYS saves my ass.
There you have it! I know it sounds like a lot of steps, but it’s really not. By planning in advance, you save SO much time later on. Day-to-day, I hardly ever use my notebooks because it’s already been planned out so well for me. Try these steps out for yourself, and I promise you’ll see a difference. It also doesn’t need to be a “chore” like activity, even if you don’t enjoy organizing the way that I do. Light some candles, have a glass of wine, and listen to some music while you write out your monthly agenda and goals! Make it fun! If you follow these tips, you’ll see how easy your life can really be.
As always, have an awesome week & I will talk to you soon.
*come follow me on instagram at @victoria_secretxo for daily updates & inspiration!