10 Ways to Excel at Customer Service

10 Ways to Excel at Customer Service

Happy Wednesday!

Customer service is a skill that is required in almost all jobs. Regardless of your industry, it will always benefit you to have strong customer service skills. Surprisingly, it is so rare to see this, that we are often amazed when we encounter a positive customer-service experience. Sad, but true. Think about the last time you were paying at the grocery store. Was the cashier bubbly and chatty, or was she merely there? Whether you are in love with your job or not, it will benefit YOU the most by excelling at customer service at ALL times. I used to say to the servers when I was a Restaurant Supervisor, “YOU ARE ON STAGE WHEN YOU ARE ON THE FLOOR!” and it’s so true. People observe your every move, especially if you are front-line staff, which is what I am going to talk about today. Not only will implementing these tips help you to stand out in your role and make OTHERS have a better day, but it will subsequently also make YOU feel a hell of a lot better. Try it. You’ll see! You have to be at work anyways.. may as well make the most of it, right?!

1. When you talk on the phone, smile: Practice this. Talk while smiling, and then talk with a straight face. People can HEAR a smile in your voice and it makes the conversation much more pleasant.
  2. Learn names and use them OFTEN: People love to hear their own name. It’s a fact. It also shows that you genuinely care enough to remember their name. I also make a point to do this with colleagues.
  3. Learn to read your guest: This point is SO KEY. Each guest is different and you need to treat them as so. If I am dealing with a 28 year old woman, my approach will be very different than if I am speaking to a 60 year old business man. Adapt your approach based on your guest and what they need.
  4. Stay calm… ALWAYS: Even if your guest is frustrated and yelling at you, you need to stay calm. The ability to stay cool when they can’t will help to bring them down a level and will make you stand out (in a good way).
  5. Smile: This one is a given, but try to pay attention to your facial expression. No one wants to be around a grump. If you’re in a bad mood, pick it back up once you clock out for the day. Moods are infectious.
  6. Pay attention to your mindset & try to be POSITIVE: Again, moods are totally infectious. Being around a positive person makes others more positive too. You WANT your guest to start their experience in a positive frame of mind.
  7. Listen before you speak: Let your guest talk. They want to be heard, whether they are upset or not. Let them talk and then you can talk. If there is an issue, allow them to vent it out without interrupting. Then solve the issue in a calm manner. Done!
  8. Build a personal relationship with your guest:Β I’m not saying you should go out for dinner with your guests, but I do think you should try to avoid being robotic. Often, customer service can become this way and I think to stand out, you need to really care about your guests (genuinely). Do they have children or pets? Find out what they like to do, and talk about it the next time you see them. This will make you stand out in a big way.
  9. ADMIT WHEN YOU ARE WRONG: This is a big one. There have been many times when I have made errors at work, however I immediately admit that I made a mistake, apologize, and then fix it. Guests appreciate the honesty so much more than you know. By lying or blaming others, you only make yourself look terrible & further upset the guest.
  10. Go above and beyond (when you can): What can you do to go the extra mile? I promise you right now, not only will this make you stand out, but you’ll also feel amazing. When I was working at Front-Desk at a hotel, I used to look for opportunities like this and it led to me getting a big award in my field. Not only that, but it made ME feel amazing by making a difference in someone’s day! For example, I once had a guest come in who had a cold. I sent up a hand written note, some soup & a tea. I know your ability to do tasks like this will change based on your industry, but try to think outside of the box. What can you do to show someone you really care about them as your guest?

Those are my best ten tips, guys! I practice these tips myself on a daily basis at work and it has always led to great things for me. I hope you try some of these out. Excelling in customer service is not only beneficial to your company, but to your guest AND to yourself, most importantly.

Have an awesome week & I will talk to you soon!

*come follow me on instagram at @victoria_secretxo for daily updates & inspiration!

1. November 14, 2018 / 12:50 pm

Excuse me whilst I compile a list of establishments that require training by you…! It would make a big difference to my life haha! I’m not in a customer facing role anymore but I am sooo passionate about providing good service where you can because of the impact it has on others! Great post lovely, found myself nodding the whole way through it lol!

• November 14, 2018 / 10:09 pm

Haha- you’re awesome! Thank you, I’m sure you can still relate to these, especially from a guest standpoint! xo

2. November 14, 2018 / 5:29 pm

I love this. I totally agree . A lot of the times when I go to the store there’s someone behind the counter who hates thier job. So it’s true you have to put yourself in other people shoes and think about how you want to be treated. I shared this post on my Facebook. You never disappoint me. πŸ’•

3. dalleynedvm
    November 14, 2018 / 5:40 pm

Some very good tips on customer service. This definitely will apply in my line of work where I may deal with clients who are emotional about their pets. Great post!

4. November 14, 2018 / 6:51 pm

I love this post so much! So many great tips x

5. November 14, 2018 / 8:33 pm

This was a great read! Something I will adapt to my own customer service skills too! It’s always great to brush up and always make sure you can be your best self at work! πŸ™‚

• November 14, 2018 / 10:12 pm

Yay! Let me know how they work out for you & THANK YOU for reading xo

6. November 15, 2018 / 12:18 am

Love these tips! I used to work in retail clothing and I always went above and beyond and because of that I would have a couple customers who would come into the store and ask for me. Even though I was working at the outlet mall(not high end at all) they were confident that I could put outfits together for them, get them the best prices, etc. I loved it! And yes it such an important skill to have!

• November 16, 2018 / 12:44 am

Yay girl! SEE! It makes a big difference and people really do notice it. Thanks for reading xo

7. November 15, 2018 / 5:26 am

Love all of the tips you gave! The first one is one that I always try to do when I’m talking over the phone. It’s really easy to hear and it changes the whole flow of the conversation sometimes!

I hope more people would read these tips especially if they deal with the customer service sector!

Thanks for sharing!

Layna

8. November 15, 2018 / 10:58 pm

These are all amazing, I wish more people would use your tips! I haven’t used the smiling on the phone trick…will be giving it a try! Thanks πŸ™‚

9. bluebellstrees
    November 16, 2018 / 6:55 am

Yes yes yes! And even if you really don’t need to interact with customers, etc. you could apply these to use around colleagues! I know one of my husbands colleagues brought a bad atmosphere to work, and it affected the whole team! This is also one of the reasons I actually quite like calling up Vodafone, their customer service is always amazing – and they do indeed talk to me about my pets, haha!

• November 16, 2018 / 8:55 pm

It’s so true! Negativity is so contagious. I’m glad you can relate. Thanks for reading xo

10. November 16, 2018 / 5:22 pm

Great points here! I’ve been in customer service all my life and the are totally relevant! Thank you for sharing πŸ™‚

11. November 17, 2018 / 3:34 pm

What a great post. Dealing with the public can be a struggle at times but delivering good service is key. I love these pointers and there’s definitely people that could and should take them on board!!

12. Rachelle Lewis
    November 17, 2018 / 5:36 pm

What a great post!! Now if only companies would train their employees do deliever customer service like this people would be a lot happier.

• November 18, 2018 / 4:00 pm

LOL AGREED! Companies need to get their act together when it comes to this. xo

13. tara xox
    November 17, 2018 / 7:53 pm

Great tips πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ I’m really gonna take these into account for my work experience. Thank you x😊

14. Moriah Joy
    November 17, 2018 / 9:50 pm

I’m blessed never to have had to work in customer service. But “Learn names and use them OFTEN” is so important just for normal day-to-day life. When I was in college, I decided that I’d use the cashier’s and waiter’s names in conversation. I just thought it was polite or whatever, but honestly, they’re so much friendly when you pick up on their names, it’s just good homan decency. I can imagine it’d work the same in customer service.

• November 18, 2018 / 4:02 pm

Totally agreed. These are things that you can use everywhere. Using people’s names makes a huge difference (as you know!) Thanks for reading xo

15. November 17, 2018 / 10:55 pm

This is a great post! I worked in customer service for years and you clearly really know what you’re doing!!