5 Ways To Give Back During the Holiday Season

5 Ways To Give Back During the Holiday Season

Happy Wednesday and welcome back!

I hope you are all having a great week so far. Christmas is right around the corner, you guys! Time is going so fast, I can hardly keep up. Although I encourage everyone to give back all year long, the holidays are a time when we should all make an extra effort to share the love with those in need.

I have compiled a list of 5 easy ways you can give back! I encourage you to choose one thing that you can do to make a difference. Keep in mind that for a lot of people, Christmas is not always a happy time. Some children do not receive gifts, some are in the cold on the streets, and some are grieving over lost loved ones. That’s why it is so important for us all to do our part. Please let me know if you get a chance to try out one of these good deeds in your city!

1. Volunteer:

volunteer

This one is a given. There are so many organizations that could use your help, even if it is just for a few hours. Animal Shelters and Senior Homes are good places to start. Most cities also have Soup Kitchens you can volunteer at during the holidays. Some good organizations in Toronto that are looking for volunteers this year are: Holiday Helpers, The Salvation Army, Second Harvest & Habitat for Humanity. Consider volunteering with one of these organizations if you have a bit of extra time this year!

2. Donate:

donate

The holidays are a time when we are given ample opportunities to donate in clothing, food, and money to those that may often have to go without. Try to specifically look out for toy drives, shelters, & food banks. Some reputable organizations in Toronto that I would recommend considering are: Holiday Helpers, The CHUM City Christmas Wish, Toronto Firefighters Toy Drive, CTV’s Toy Mountain, Children’s Wish Foundation, Ontario Association of Food Banks, Toronto Distress Centre & Toronto Humane Society.

3. Perform an Act of Kindness:

There is no time like now. Make an effort this month to go out of your way to make someone else’s day just a little bit better. For a full list of “acts of kindness” ideas, read my post on Kindness. My favourites are: in the drive-thru, pay for the person behind you (I’ve been on both sides of this one, and let me tell you, my day was MADE both times), leave a nice note on someones windshield, offer up your seat on public transportation, or send flowers to someone’s work!

4. Help a Neighbour:

Is there someone in your neighbourhood who could benefit from an extra set of hands? Make yourself useful and help out with shovelling the snow or picking up the mail. In particular, elderly folks really appreciate a small gesture such as this. If you know someone in your community who is going through a particularly rough time (maybe recently lost someone) why not stop by for a visit? Bring them a coffee or something freshly baked. This act of kindness will go a long way and you WILL be making a huge difference.

5. Homeless Care Packages

homeless care package

This is the way I choose to give back during the holidays. For the past two years, my two best-friends and I take their kids (they are now 5 and 6), and we all head downtown to hand out homeless care packages. We typically hit up our local Dollarama and fill up extra-large Ziploc bags with items such as hats, mittens, scarves, socks, lip balm, toothbrush and paste, non-perishable food items, Tim Horton’s gift-cards, etc. We make around 10 and let the kids hand them out to the homeless. They have always been so gracious and appreciative towards the kids. Not only does this make a difference to those who do not have a home, but it’s a great example for the kids and that’s a big reason why we bring them along. If you decide to do this, keep in mind that it does not have to cost you a lot. It’s the thought that counts.

I hope this post encouraged you to try to find a way to give back this holiday season. If you don’t have a lot of free time, consider donating! If you don’t have a lot of extra cash, try donating a bit of your time! Again, as I mentioned, it doesn’t have to be big, it is the thought that counts. The change in your pocket will make a difference.

Whatever you can do helps!

I wish you all a fantastic week and I look forward to talking to you soon!

Follow me on instagram, where I am the most active & post daily at @25thoughts_

1. December 12, 2018 / 1:05 pm

Volunteering is one hundred percent the best way to spend some time (or a lot of time) over Christmas. It brings back the entire value of a day that can feel so belittled by the onslaught of consumerist propaganda before and following it. Highly recommend. Nice post 🙂

2. December 12, 2018 / 8:55 pm

Ah I absolutely love this post! I have a very similar one going up tomorrow but you’ve given some great tips that are different from my own so I love that I’ve picked up even more ideas from you on how to spread the love this season!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

3. December 13, 2018 / 1:15 am

I sponsor a pre schooler on Guatemala through the Mayan families program. She’s sooo adorable and it makes me so happy that I can give back

4. mrsglivingsimple
    December 13, 2018 / 10:02 pm

I have always loved volunteering for holidays and doing the giving trees <3

5. December 14, 2018 / 9:21 am

I love these ideas, and a refreshing change from the materialistic side of Christmas

6. December 14, 2018 / 10:45 am

This is such a great post and great ideas. I always feel like I should be doing more things like this around christmas more than any other time of year. But I always donate a little something to Battersea Cats and Dogs home in January 🙂

• December 18, 2018 / 3:59 pm

That’s so sweet! That is huge and makes such a big difference. xo

7. 1stephloves
    December 14, 2018 / 10:53 am

Love this Victoria. Such a cute post. I always do a clear out this time of year and donate everything to charity and it always makes me feel a bit better. I also buy quite a few presents from charity shops (books and DVDs mostly) so another nice way to help out. 💕

• December 18, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Thank you so much! That sounds so nice, I’m glad you also help out! It does feel good to be able to make a difference. I’m grateful we are in a place where we CAN help, you know? xo

8. December 14, 2018 / 7:36 pm

Such a great reminder at the holidays! Love the ideas! I am going to talk to my family about incorporating some of the ones we don’t do now to make it an annual tradition! Thank you so much for sharing!

• December 18, 2018 / 4:00 pm

Awww I love this so much! Let me know what you decide! So fun! xo

• December 18, 2018 / 9:37 pm

You are so sweet! Hope you have an amazing holiday season!

9. Sonja- Too Much Character
    December 15, 2018 / 3:57 am

Love your suggestions for how to spread some love during the holiday season! I keep some extra snacks in my car for when I am driving through downtown Minneapolis and come upon someone holding a cardboard sign at a stoplight. My son even asks to give his snacks away too.

• December 18, 2018 / 4:01 pm

Ahhhh that’s amazing! Such a thoughtful gesture, and it’s so nice that your son is involved too. Thanks for reading! xo

10. December 15, 2018 / 4:36 am

Love this. It’s important to take a moment and give back.

11. December 15, 2018 / 4:57 pm

I love the random acts of kindness. It can be simple, but life changing for someone.

• December 18, 2018 / 4:02 pm

Yeah, I think random acts of kindness are sometimes the most thoughtful and life-changing! xo

12. December 15, 2018 / 5:03 pm

For probably the past 10 years, I’ve made it a point to donate to charities, as well as give a portion of my time every year to help the community. It has been so rewarding, and I have been able to establish friendships with a lot of the people I voluntter with!

• December 18, 2018 / 4:02 pm

That’s amazing! I’m so glad you take the time to do this. Happy Holidays to you, xo

• December 18, 2018 / 4:03 pm

Thank you! Yeah, we handed them out last night and they were all very happy! It’s very rewarding xo

13. December 15, 2018 / 6:16 pm

These were really great ideas. I especially liked how you gave the specific organization names in your area. Nice touch!

• December 18, 2018 / 4:03 pm

Thanks Wendy! I feel like a lot of people do want to help, they just don’t know where to begin! xo

14. December 16, 2018 / 9:56 am

This is really sweet. I do volunteer and used to help out an elderly neighbour but I wish there was more community and love spirit around.

• December 18, 2018 / 4:03 pm

That’s amazing and I’m so glad to hear you are doing your part to help! xo

15. December 16, 2018 / 3:28 pm

Loved reading this! These are all seemingly simple ways to go out and help out. Love it! You have a kind heart!

16. December 19, 2018 / 11:34 am

These are all great things to do & most of them don’t even cost money like helping an elderly lady cross the road or donating your old clothes 😊