The Importance of Traditions & What Mine Are

The Importance of Traditions & What Mine Are

Happy Wednesday! How is Christmas in 6 days? That makes me excited but also makes me feel sick because I feel like there’s still so much to do! Anyways, today’s post was originally going to be all about our Christmas Traditions, however after writing out my list, I realized we actually don’t have as many as I thought! It’s okay though because I decided to include a list of our YEARLY traditions. Maybe it will spark some ideas for you to create your own (or use some of these ideas if you like them!)

The Importance of Traditions:

First of all, I feel like traditions are super, super important. I’m a sentimental person and love spending time with my family, so if you are the same, then I’m sure you can relate to positive feelings towards tradition. Even if your family is not close, you can still implement traditions with your friend group or even for yourself! Traditions give you something to get excited about and look forward to and they are often the foundation of very special memories. Traditions help to formulate an unbreakable bond that is often passed down through generations. I hope the list below will inspire you to create some traditions of your own (if you don’t have them already!)

Traditions in my Life:

• Holidays Family dinners for holidays such as Easter & Thanksgiving
  • Victoria Day – HAD to include this one because it’s too funny. We don’t do it anymore (obviously), but when I was a kid my parents would have a picnic for me in the backyard for VICTORIA DAY! I even got presents. That is the definition of a spoiled & well-loved kid! Haha!
  • Sauble Beach We had a cottage in Sauble Beach as kids. We shared it with my moms sister & her family (my two cousins, who are basically my sisters, and uncle). We spent a large portion of each summer up at the cottage and I have the happiest memories from those days. We sold the cottage around 10 years ago, however we still rent a cottage there each year!sauble beach
  • Birthday Dinners I have two girls in my life that I am lucky enough to call my best friends. We have been best friends since we were 15 or so (I actually knew Brittany since I was about 5!) – each year, we go out for a birthday dinner for each of us, and it’s always so wonderful.girls birthday dinner
  • Ste. Anne’s Spa This is a tradition we only started about 3 years ago, but it’s ONE OF THE BEST. Myself, my mom, my aunt, and my two cousins go to Ste. Anne’s Spa in Grafton, Ontario for a night each summer. It’s all about relaxation and girl time & it is literally the best. To read all about Ste. Anne’s Spa, read this post!ste annes spa
  • Black Friday Shopping in Niagara – This is probably the biggest tradition in my family, as it has been one for 44 years. To read all about it, click here. There is so much to this one, guys.family
  • Homeless Care Packages Each winter, Brittany, Ashley (my best friends) and I take their kids and we go downtown with home-made care packages for the homeless. It’s very rewarding and I hope it’s sometimes we continue to do for years to come.homeless care packages
  • Girls’ Christmas Party We have a girls’ Christmas party each year at my house – although the people sometimes change, our close friends and family remain. We wear PJs each year, do a pot-luck, drink lots of delicious mulled wine & do a gift exchange!
  • Christmas Morning Cinnamon buns and fruit is the breakfast of CHRISTMAS in this household! It’s been that way since I was a kid! As we get older, I’m trying to get my family to add in my favourite, eggs benedict!
  • Christmas Morning Gift Exchange  After my immediate family eats breakfast and opens gifts, my Aunt Cathy & cousins come over and we do a gift exchange with them. Again, something we have been doing since kids! I’m lucky enough that they have always lived on the same street as us. CAN YOU TELL OUR MOMS ARE CLOSE?

That’s it for today, guys! I hope this list gave you some inspiration. What is on YOUR tradition list? Please share with me down below in the comments!

As a reminder, the giveaway is still going on until December 23rd! Click here to find out what you could win and how to enter! You can also find the full details on my Instagram.

Have a beautiful week and I will talk to you soon!

error

1. bingingonabudget
    December 19, 2018 / 11:47 am

I love hearing everyone’s traditions. Which is your favorite one?

• December 19, 2018 / 8:24 pm

Thanks! Oh gosh, I don’t even know. Probably the spa! What’s yours?

2. December 19, 2018 / 11:15 pm

I love this so much! So many awesome traditions! Especially love Victoria Day and the homeless care packages! So thoughtful and sweet!! I don’t have as many traditions as I’d like to have! My family does get together every holiday though (: and birthday dinners!!

• December 20, 2018 / 9:09 pm

Thank you, love! See – as long as family is getting together, I think that’s all it really takes! xo

3. December 19, 2018 / 11:19 pm

I love hearing about everyone’s traditions! It is so fun to see what people do! I like hearing new ideas so that I can try them out with my family also!

4. December 19, 2018 / 11:24 pm

I love your girls’ Xmas party! I brought to New York some of my traditions from Spain (such as celebrating the Three Wise Men instead of Santa Claus and welcoming the New Year eating grapes) and I definitely love your list 🙂

• December 20, 2018 / 9:10 pm

Thanks – yeah it’s SO much fun.
      That’s so cool – I bet your friends and family in New York loved trying something new as well. Keeps things interesting!
      Happy Holidays to you xo

5. December 19, 2018 / 11:28 pm

I agree that traditions are extremely important! They’re a part of who we are. Also, I might just have to steal your tradition of a spa night every year lol.

6. December 19, 2018 / 11:35 pm

I love traditions! I think they are so important. Christmas breakfast was always a big one in my family. And decorating the Christmas tree with my mom right after Thanksgiving!

• December 20, 2018 / 9:11 pm

I love that you guys do the tree early! I try doing mine as early as possible too – keep Christmas in the air as long as possible, right?! xo

7. December 20, 2018 / 12:10 am

Traditions are very important to me as well! I think that traditions help keep us and our loved ones close.

• December 20, 2018 / 9:12 pm

Agreed! Wishing you all the best over the holidays, Crystal xo

8. December 20, 2018 / 12:12 am

I have been thinking about family traditions a lot since my family has been living in Asia for the past year. The events around holidays you talk about with your friends and family are exactly what I’m trying to think about for my little ones, especially since I didn’t grow up with a whole lot of my own.

• December 20, 2018 / 9:17 pm

Well, I’m so glad to hear you found it useful! You can always create your own family traditions. I’d love to hear what you decide on. xo

9. December 20, 2018 / 2:25 am

This is such a fun and I’m sure very close to your heart blog post Victoria! Family rituals and traditions are so fun and I enjoy sharing it with the people I love 💗 They establish a foundation for family values and are a good bonding experience. In the past 3 years, my mom and I travel somewhere new once a year. We enjoy having a mother-and-daughter experience to explore beautiful destinations. It’s a very special occasion we get to share together.

• December 20, 2018 / 9:24 pm

Thank you, Alina – it for sure was! That sounds so special your tradition with your mom! I’m so glad you can enjoy this mother-daughter bonding time! Thanks for sharing! xo

10. December 20, 2018 / 3:33 am

Umm I’m here in the US and I celebrate Victoria Day too! I love that there’s a holiday with my name! I also love that there’s so much merchandise at Victoria’s Secret with VICTORIA on it! I love our name & traditions are so fun!

• December 20, 2018 / 9:24 pm

LOL YOU ARE AMAZING VICTORIA! We are BLESSED with this name, I swear- haha! xo

11. December 20, 2018 / 7:25 pm

I love how close you are with your two girlfriends from high school! I still keep in touch with my two best friends from high school, but we only get together about once a year since we don’t live close. Very sweet traditions that you hold near and dear!

• December 20, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Thanks Danielle! Totally, I’m lucky that they both live so close to me, but true friendship remains even through distance (as I’m sure you know)! I’m glad you still make the time to catch up with your high school best friends too! xo

12. sundaymorningwithsandy.com
    December 21, 2018 / 8:40 pm

Those are great traditions! Some of those I have, but I love your Girls Christmas party! I may have to try that one <3 Merry Christmas!

13. December 21, 2018 / 9:06 pm

I loved reading this! I don’t have many traditions, for the past few years we’ve gone to my Nan’s on Christmas morning just for an hour or so to see family and open gifts etc! I can’t wait to move out with my partner and start a family because you can bet I’ll make loads of traditions for our children!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

• December 21, 2018 / 10:25 pm

Absolutely- that’s the best part about starting your own family in my opinion! Can’t wait for that day, too! xo Happy Holidays to you, Jess

14. December 22, 2018 / 8:50 pm

A very inspiring post! Need to do some rethinking about my traditions 😀