Happy Wednesday! How is Christmas in 6 days? That makes me excited but also makes me feel sick because I feel like there’s still so much to do! Anyways, today’s post was originally going to be all about our Christmas Traditions, however after writing out my list, I realized we actually don’t have as many as I thought! It’s okay though because I decided to include a list of our YEARLY traditions. Maybe it will spark some ideas for you to create your own (or use some of these ideas if you like them!)
The Importance of Traditions:
First of all, I feel like traditions are super, super important. I’m a sentimental person and love spending time with my family, so if you are the same, then I’m sure you can relate to positive feelings towards tradition. Even if your family is not close, you can still implement traditions with your friend group or even for yourself! Traditions give you something to get excited about and look forward to and they are often the foundation of very special memories. Traditions help to formulate an unbreakable bond that is often passed down through generations. I hope the list below will inspire you to create some traditions of your own (if you don’t have them already!)
Traditions in my Life:
- Holidays – Family dinners for holidays such as Easter & Thanksgiving
- Victoria Day – HAD to include this one because it’s too funny. We don’t do it anymore (obviously), but when I was a kid my parents would have a picnic for me in the backyard for VICTORIA DAY! I even got presents. That is the definition of a spoiled & well-loved kid! Haha!
- Sauble Beach – We had a cottage in Sauble Beach as kids. We shared it with my moms sister & her family (my two cousins, who are basically my sisters, and uncle). We spent a large portion of each summer up at the cottage and I have the happiest memories from those days. We sold the cottage around 10 years ago, however we still rent a cottage there each year!
- Birthday Dinners – I have two girls in my life that I am lucky enough to call my best friends. We have been best friends since we were 15 or so (I actually knew Brittany since I was about 5!) – each year, we go out for a birthday dinner for each of us, and it’s always so wonderful.
- Ste. Anne’s Spa – This is a tradition we only started about 3 years ago, but it’s ONE OF THE BEST. Myself, my mom, my aunt, and my two cousins go to Ste. Anne’s Spa in Grafton, Ontario for a night each summer. It’s all about relaxation and girl time & it is literally the best. To read all about Ste. Anne’s Spa, read this post!
- Black Friday Shopping in Niagara – This is probably the biggest tradition in my family, as it has been one for 44 years. To read all about it, click here. There is so much to this one, guys.
- Homeless Care Packages – Each winter, Brittany, Ashley (my best friends) and I take their kids and we go downtown with home-made care packages for the homeless. It’s very rewarding and I hope it’s sometimes we continue to do for years to come.
- Girls’ Christmas Party – We have a girls’ Christmas party each year at my house – although the people sometimes change, our close friends and family remain. We wear PJs each year, do a pot-luck, drink lots of delicious mulled wine & do a gift exchange!
- Christmas Morning – Cinnamon buns and fruit is the breakfast of CHRISTMAS in this household! It’s been that way since I was a kid! As we get older, I’m trying to get my family to add in my favourite, eggs benedict!
- Christmas Morning Gift Exchange – After my immediate family eats breakfast and opens gifts, my Aunt Cathy & cousins come over and we do a gift exchange with them. Again, something we have been doing since kids! I’m lucky enough that they have always lived on the same street as us. CAN YOU TELL OUR MOMS ARE CLOSE?
That’s it for today, guys! I hope this list gave you some inspiration. What is on YOUR tradition list? Please share with me down below in the comments!
As a reminder, the giveaway is still going on until December 23rd! Click here to find out what you could win and how to enter! You can also find the full details on my Instagram.
Have a beautiful week and I will talk to you soon!