10 Ways to Sleep Better (Naturally!)

10 Ways to Sleep Better (Naturally!)

Happy Wednesday & Welcome 2019! I hope you all had a fantastic New Years celebration! How many of you have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep? I know I did, until I started implementing these tips into my nightly routine. Now, it’s almost like a joke how well I sleep! I know that these tips will help YOU as much as they helped me, so that’s what we’re going to discuss today. Let’s start 2019 off on the right foot, yeah? Here we go:

1. USE AN EYE-MASK:

Eye-masks are HIGHLY UNDERRATED! Light can really interfere with our quality of sleep, so an eye-mask really helps to block the light and also provides soothing benefits for the eyes. I have three in total, and cannot sleep without one now. My favourite eye-mask is from Saje, and is lavender scented. It is absolutely THE BEST.

2. INVEST IN LAVENDER OIL/ SPRAY:

lavender oil

Lavender oil is known to have properties that help with relaxation. I find the scent to be completing calming and helps me get into the right headspace at night. I either diffuse lavender oil in my diffuser (also from Saje), or spritz my pillow with a Lavender spray. You could even do both! Lavender pillow sprays are easy to make at home (there are lots of recipes online!) or you can purchase one, here.

3. UNPLUG (READ INSTEAD!):

reading in bed

We all know that the blue-light emitted from phones, iPads, etc. is no good for us, ESPECIALLY at night-time. The screens will actually stimulate your mind & make it more difficult to fall asleep. Try to avoid any type of technology at least an hour before you plan to go to sleep. Put your device on silent & remove it from the room, if necessary. Pick up a good book instead and read a chapter or two! This can really help to make you feel more sleepy, too.

4. LISTEN TO NATURE MUSIC AND/OR GUIDED MEDITATION:

dauschy meditation

This one has been a complete game-changer for me. I find that I almost always fall asleep or become extremely relaxed when I listen to guided meditations at night. If I’m not in the mood to meditate or feel I am too tired to do so, I will put on a nature playlist instead. A few of my favourite YouTube channels are: Dauchsy, Michael Sealey, and Jason Stephenson. All of these channels offer sleep hypnosis and guided meditations that truly will bring you to a place of peace and serenity. Check them out!

5. DRINK A CHAMOMILE TEA:

chamomile tea

Chamomile is well-known for its sleep-inducing abilities, and for good reason. The calming benefits of this herbal tea really will put you in an excellent space for a good nights sleep. Just be sure to only have ONE CUP. Too much liquid at night will disrupt your sleep, as well. Try to drink the tea roughly 30 minutes before bed.

6. LIMIT CAFFEINE AND ALCOHOL:

coffee

Even if you think caffeine doesn’t affect you, AVOID IT. Caffeine WILL affect your ability to sleep peacefully, and alcohol will do exactly the same (you will wake up more often, and are less likely to enter REM sleep). Try to stay away from both for at least 4 hours prior to bedtime. You can thank me later!

7. TRY JOURNALING:

journaling

You’re laying in bed, when suddenly all of the thoughts start creeping into your mind. Events from the day, what is happening tomorrow, grocery lists, to do lists… you name it. Our minds are alone and free at night, which is why this happens so often. Instead of letting this happen to you, take 5 minutes before you sleep to get all of your thoughts ONTO paper. It doesn’t have to take you long. Just free-write.

*Related Post: How I Stay Organized with FREE Printable Work Sheets

8. STRETCH:

bedtime stretches

Try doing a night-time yoga or gentle stretch (you can even do it IN bed)! Not only is this good for our bodies, but it will also help you to release tension and get into the muscle fascia, therefore helping you stay asleep for longer. For some short and sweet, night-time yoga routines, click here.

9. GET COMFY:

comfy bed

This one goes without saying (I hope!). Investing in proper bedding, pillows and mattresses is so important for proper sleep. Everyone is different, so shop around to ensure that you are using the right pillow and mattress for your own, specific needs. Also, using a cozy duvet and blanket can really help you to get comfortable and warm (therefore, helping you to sleep better!)

10: GET INTO A ROUTINE:

alarm clock

Make a point to go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day. Doing so triggers your body to naturally get tired around the same time each day, therefore making sleep come a lot easier. It also triggers the body’s natural circadian rhythm, which creates several benefits, some of which include: easier to wake up in the morning, less irritability, decreased pain, and improved alertness.

I hope these ten tips will help you to sleep better & more deeply. I have implemented all of these tips into my own life and have noticed the biggest difference! Let me know down below how it goes for you.

Looking forward to talking to you all soon. Have an excellent week.

*Related Post: Self Care Rituals

*come follow me on instagram at @25thoughts_ for daily updates & inspiration!

1. January 2, 2019 / 5:59 pm

I can honestly confirm ALL of these to be true!! My favorite is reading and listening to peaceful music. But the eye mask trick is SO essential if you have trouble keeping your eyes closed like I do.

• January 2, 2019 / 7:00 pm

I’m so glad you’re into that, too. I can hardly ever fall asleep without my music or mask! xo

2. Geraldine
    January 3, 2019 / 2:56 am

Love these tips! I always tend to listen to the wrong kind of music late at night ..the high energy type ones! I heard those pillow sprays work great especially the chamomile and lavender scented ones. Thank you for sharing!!

• January 3, 2019 / 8:07 pm

It’s so hard not too though! Try softer music, it really helps me so much. Thanks for reading Geraldine! xo

3. January 3, 2019 / 5:46 pm

I love chamomile tea. It does help to relax you. I know you should limit alcohol but a small glass of wine helps me to relax and sleep better. I need to try your eye mask tip.

• January 3, 2019 / 8:07 pm

Let me know how it works for you! I know what you mean about the wine- I’m trying to get myself out of that habit! xo

4. January 3, 2019 / 8:08 pm

Definitely agree with these tips! This is a good reminder for me to get off tech at night 🌌 thanks!

5. January 3, 2019 / 8:19 pm

I can attest to the lavender for sure! I’m pregnant and waking up in the night constantly, this is one of the only things that helps. My mom’s a massage therapist and recommended a mix of lavender and peppermint. It’s so calming.

• January 6, 2019 / 8:29 pm

It’s very calming indeed- interesting mixture, I will have to try that! Hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy xo

6. January 4, 2019 / 4:59 am

These are all great recommendations. The best thing I’ve done is invest in making my bed super comfy, although now I can’t seem to get out of it in the morning!

• January 6, 2019 / 8:29 pm

Too funny! It’s true – sometimes it’s so relaxing you just can’t bear to leave it!

7. January 4, 2019 / 9:43 pm

Great list, I think you got every point. Lavender oil is pretty amazing stuff.

Natalie
    ThisHomemadeHome.com

8. January 4, 2019 / 10:19 pm

I absolutely love this! It actually worked. I used to have trouble sleeping due to anxiety, but little things like the eye mask made a huge difference. 💕 Very well done.

• January 6, 2019 / 8:39 pm

That’s amazing I’m so glad it helped! I agree anxiety can make it almost impossible to fall asleep. Meditation has helped a lot with my anxiety. Let me know how it goes. xo

9. January 4, 2019 / 11:38 pm

These are great tips and they all work.
    I love sleeping with a mask. And yes, they are totally underrated. I make sure I have my mask and lavender spray ready at night.

10. January 5, 2019 / 5:27 pm

Some fab tips here, I always try sleeping with an eye mask and it’s amazing just how fab they work!

Dena | www,denajayne.com xo

• January 6, 2019 / 8:30 pm

So glad you use one too! Light is so awful for interfering with proper sleep

11. January 5, 2019 / 6:07 pm

Great tips . I couldn’t work out for ages why my sleep had taken a nosedive but it clicked that I’d been laid in bed on sociasomedia rather than reading and my see improved loads once I swapped back to a book

• January 6, 2019 / 8:31 pm

Ahhhh seee that’ll do it, and I think it’s something so many of us will fall into if we aren’t conscious of it

12. lolitambonita
    January 5, 2019 / 8:22 pm

I really need to get into a better sleep routine. I am going to try switch off and put my screen down a lot earlier in the evening!

Lola Mia x

• January 6, 2019 / 8:31 pm

Try it! I think that’s made the hugest difference for me. Good luck xo

13. January 5, 2019 / 11:28 pm

LOVE these tips! I definitely need a better sleep routine. I love lavender – I’m going to try that this week!

14. January 6, 2019 / 4:28 am

Super helpful! Routine is important, but hard with a toddler who still wakes

• January 6, 2019 / 8:31 pm

Absolutely! I can’t even imagine- you mothers are champions! xo

15. January 6, 2019 / 9:31 am

A good sleep routine is essential, the only things I can’t use is lavender, as it has the opposite effect on me, so I use camomile instead. Lavender affects my heart and makes it race which isn’t helpful for sleep x

• January 6, 2019 / 8:32 pm

Oh wow that’s so strange! Hmmm but glad at least you can use camomile, which is just as good. xo

• January 6, 2019 / 8:33 pm

Mr and hubby are exactly the same, but I know it’s unusal

16. January 6, 2019 / 9:47 am

Great post! Getting decent sleep is so important – and often something people over look in today’s hectic schedules of needing to be productive and get as much done as possible. There are some great tips here – definitely going to be trying them out!

• January 6, 2019 / 8:32 pm

Thank you so much, Lindsey! Let me know how it works out for you! xo

17. January 6, 2019 / 10:45 am

Great tips. I’ve been wanted to get some sort of spray for my pillow, which might help me unwind instead of reaching for my phone at night!

• January 6, 2019 / 8:37 pm

Yes, Jenny it probably will. I know putting the phone down is the hardest part for everyone, lol! Let me know how it goes! Bath and Body sells some nice ones. xo

18. January 6, 2019 / 7:14 pm

I normally don’t have problems falling asleep, but the next time I do I’ll keep these tips in mind!
    I also love having a cup of tea in the evening. It helps me relax & I also go to sleep around the same time ☺

• January 6, 2019 / 8:38 pm

That’s awesome! Probably the habitual part of that helps too and reminds your body it’s time for bed! Thanks for sharing! xo

19. Mashibaby
    January 7, 2019 / 12:37 am

I love heavy blankets to keep me cozy!

20. Rachel Hart
    January 7, 2019 / 8:08 am

These are some great tips! I do most of these already, except for using a night mask.
    I tried using one once, I just can’t sleep well with something on my face.
    Great list though!
    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Ray

21. January 7, 2019 / 4:03 pm

These are great! Will have to give some of them a try for sure!

22. Jennifer Carfora
    January 7, 2019 / 5:13 pm

Useful tips! I need to try blindfolds too! I recently got a white noise machine and it’s awesome

• January 8, 2019 / 5:35 pm

Ouuuu I’m so curious about the white noise machines, feel like I’d also be a super fan! xo

23. brittmlamb
    January 8, 2019 / 2:54 pm

It’s always been hard for me to go to bed and wake up at the same time, but I know I need to! I need better sleep and will be implementing some of your tips! (Especially lavender!)

• January 8, 2019 / 5:36 pm

Ah it’s always easier said than done, right? Let me know how they work out for you! xo

24. January 8, 2019 / 8:22 pm

Will certainly be trying some of these as my little brain starts thinking when I go to bed, then am unable to sleep. Funnily enough I have started habit tracking this year and have developed a morning routine which some of your ideas are in…. like journaling, stretching etc. So am thinking to do a brain dump journal and stretching and make evening habits too.

• January 12, 2019 / 2:55 am

Omg totally! Love that you’re doing these things! I find the meditating really helps the most for an overactive mind. Try Headspace- it’s amazing at slowing down racing thoughts. xo

25. January 8, 2019 / 10:16 pm

Great tips. I struggle to sleep so will try as many of these ideas as possible.

26. January 9, 2019 / 12:31 am

Sleep is so important! Great post!

27. January 9, 2019 / 10:16 am

I need to learn to unplug definitely. And pick a book back up. I want to try the tea too but I’m so fussy. I won’t know until I try tho! Great tips x

• January 12, 2019 / 2:56 am

Thank you, Lex! Let me know how these tips work out for ya! Good luck! xo

28. Stacy B Miller
    January 10, 2019 / 5:34 am

Thanks for this wonderful article. Its a fact that many people regularly get poor sleep. I think we should use the washroom before going to bed to avoid waking in the night.

29. January 10, 2019 / 5:18 pm

Lovely read with some great tips! 🙂

30. January 11, 2019 / 7:29 am

I’ve been having some trouble sleeping lately but mainly just because (and I can’t figure out why!) but I keep having nightmares every night, it sucks!

Julia // The Sunday Mode

• January 12, 2019 / 3:00 am

Oh no, nightmares are the worst. Have you changed anything majorly in your lifestyle recently?

31. sundaymorningwithsandy.com
    January 13, 2019 / 10:24 pm

Going to try that yoga tonight! Thank you!