10 Tips for Increasing Productivity

10 Tips for Increasing Productivity

What do you think of when you think of Productivity? For many people, it is a common assumption that this means you must hustle & do it all, even if it means sacrificing your peace of mind. You’ll see through today’s post, that Productivity doesn’t have to be so stressful. I think being productive is more about getting things done in an efficient manner and in a more beneficial way. In today’s post, I am going to go over 10 ways you can increase your productivity and complete that never-ending to-do list, without burnout or feeling overwhelmed. Let’s get into it.

1. PRODUCTIVITY STARTS THE NIGHT BEFORE –

Think about it. What you do the night before greatly impacts your next day, especially the morning. There are things you can do the night before to make things a lot easier for yourself the next day. For example, try meal prepping. Get your meals for the next day made and ready to go. One less thing for you to worry about. Try picking out your outfit and having it laid out. Can you shower the night before to save yourself some time? Doing things like this will save you so much time and energy the following day.

*Related Post: Check out the Recipe section of my Blog for healthy & easy meal-prep ideas!

2. GET ENOUGH SLEEP –

There is nothing worse than having to get through a full day of work on little to no sleep. You will feel irritable, groggy and less productive. Be sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. This will help you the following day and will help you feel more motivated and capable.

*Related Post: 10 Ways to Sleep Better (Naturally!)

3. MAKE YOUR BED AND DECLUTTER –

There is something about the simplicity of making your bed that really sets your day off on the right foot. It will help you to feel a sense of accomplishment before you’ve even brushed your teeth. By doing this two-minute task, you are likely to have a more productive day, as this simple habit often leads to a domino effect of other positive practices throughout your day. In Charles Duhigg’s book, The Power of Habit, he explains how making your bed is a keystone habit that leads to other positive choices. Living in a tidy space in general, creates a sense of wellbeing in your life and will ultimately leave you feeling more peaceful. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

4. EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST & STAY HYDRATED-

A healthy body leads to a healthy mind. A healthy mind leads to increased productivity. It’s that simple. Try to avoid eating junk for breakfast. Eat something that is full of protein and will nourish your body. My usual breakfast is 2 eggs, a piece of toast & half an avocado. If I’m out the door early, I’ll make a nourishing green juice. Be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated. There are SO MANY benefits of hydration, so you really cannot skip out on this one.

5. MAKE A LIST –

This is one of the first things I do when I wake up. Make yourself a list of things you’d like to get done throughout the day. Put a * beside the tasks that are non-negotiable. Focus on doing those tasks first and work your way through the others. Having these tasks on paper makes them more actionable and you will feel more motivated to get them done!

*Related Post: How I Stay Organized with FREE Printable Worksheets

6. TIME BLOCK & BATCH WORK –

This is a BIG ONE for me. If you’ve never heard of these methods before, let me break it down simply. Time blocking is where you allot yourself a certain amount of time to do a specific task. If you don’t finish it in the time frame, you move onto the next thing. You keep doing this until you are done. Any tasks you didn’t finish can be moved to a later time or date. Doing this really helps to keep you focused and on track. It often eliminates procrastination and gets you going (in my experience).

Batch working basically means that you do ONE task at a time. For example, let’s say I’m working on blog posts. I will work ONLY on writing these posts for 2 hours. I will not move from task to task, such as making graphics or working on SEO for my post. I find batch working really helps keep your mind on track with a certain topic and helps keep you in a creative frame of mind. Give it a try!

7. TURN OFF YOUR PHONE OR NOTIFICATIONS –

If you can, turn your phone off when you are working! Whatever the task is at hand, having your phone off is going to really eliminate distractions and will keep you focused. I, for one, am guilty of mindlessly scrolling Instagram, when I should be working on something else. You too? Give this a try. It really helps with productivity. If you can’t turn off your phone, at least turn off your notifications.

8. TAKE BREAKS –

In order to stay productive, you need to schedule breaks for yourself. This is the only way to avoid feeling burned out and tired. Whether that means you go for a walk, play with your dog, chat with a coworker, or meditate. Take 10-15 minute breaks, if possible, at least every 2-3 hours.

9. LEARN TO SAY NO –

There are far too many of us who simply feel like we must do it all. Learning to say “no”, in a respectful way, is seriously such a game-changer. If you don’t feel like it’s something you can commit to, there is nothing wrong with politely declining. YOU DO NOT NEED TO FEEL GUILTY. You need to put your own life and responsibilities first, in order to be useful to someone else.

10. CELEBRATE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS –

This is a big one. We are often so hard on ourselves, and tend to focus on the things we still need to do. Try shifting your focus by adding this ONE practice to your bedtime routine. Instead of focusing on what you still have to do, try focusing on all the things you got done throughout the day. By recognizing your accomplishments, you will bring more positivity into your life.

There you have it, guys! I hope you will find some of these tips & tricks useful. I use all of these tips in my daily life and find they really help with increasing my productivity in an efficient and calm manner. Let me know down below what you practice to increase your productivity!

Have a great week!

*Come say HI on Instagram, where I am most active @25thoughts_ !

1. January 30, 2019 / 3:45 pm

These are great tips! 🙂 Taking breaks throughout the day really, really helps my productivity.

• February 2, 2019 / 12:36 am

Yay! I agree – Breaks are so crucial. Without them, I also feel like I’m not working up to my potential in terms of quality. xo

2. January 30, 2019 / 6:23 pm

I love this post- it’s so helpful. Time-blocking is something I really need to work on but I totally agree with productivity beginning the night before and the importance of switching off your phone. Mine is always a huge distraction and makes it difficult to concentrate or get anything done!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

• February 2, 2019 / 12:37 am

Agreed- the cell phone is such a huge thing for SO many people. Thanks for reading! Hope time-blocking goes well for you! xo

3. January 30, 2019 / 6:26 pm

This list is SO good! Wow, I love the idea of both time blocking and batch work; I am planning on trying out both. I’ve also recently started making my bed, and it honestly does wonders for both my productivity and my happiness, even though it seems like such a small action. Thank you for sharing these wonderful ideas!

• February 2, 2019 / 12:37 am

They are both such helpful tools in my own life to keep me on track! Thanks for reading, Savannah! xo

4. January 30, 2019 / 6:39 pm

These are great tips. I hadn’t heard of time blocking before but I think I might give it a go and see if it works for me

• February 2, 2019 / 12:38 am

I just actually heard about it not too long ago myself, but it’s been a huge reason why I actually get things done. Hope it works for you, too! xo

5. January 30, 2019 / 7:02 pm

These are really good tips! I need to turn my phone off to get any work done!

6. January 30, 2019 / 8:38 pm

Great advice. Each and every one is important!

• February 2, 2019 / 12:39 am

Thanks Ellen! I agree – doing these things helps me so much!

7. January 31, 2019 / 11:09 am

Time blocking is something I want want to try. I have trouble staying focused. Lots of great tips.

8. Kathryn Hunter
    January 31, 2019 / 4:37 pm

I’m good at about half of these. I especially want to work on decluttering and time blocks, thanks for the motivation!

• February 2, 2019 / 12:40 am

Definitely something that just takes practice! I’m glad you enjoyed!

9. January 31, 2019 / 11:11 pm

I really want to try time blocking – especially on weekends where I need to get a lot done! I agree with all these tips as well!

• February 2, 2019 / 12:40 am

Yay! Time-blocking and batch working are the two most useful techniques in my own life. Hope you enjoy time blocking and see the difference! xo

10. February 1, 2019 / 12:45 am

Great tips! I’ve been working on most of these habits this year. Making my bed and decluttering has made a huge difference. I used to not make my bed because I didn’t see the point. But, it makes me smile when I walk into my room with the bed made. It also (usually) stops me from napping because I don’t want to mess the bed back up.

11. February 1, 2019 / 10:10 am

These are great tips, I’m going to try them out x

12. February 1, 2019 / 11:44 am

Most of the time I’m very productive and I do more or less all of these! I always write my to-do list the day before, eat breakfast, start my day with some Yoga and a tidy up and I’m good to go! Great post <3

Jenny

• February 2, 2019 / 12:41 am

Yessss, Jenny! Sounds like you’re a pretty productive person! Thanks for reading and keep it up! xo

13. Mashibaby
    February 1, 2019 / 4:29 pm

I love these amazing ideas!

14. February 2, 2019 / 2:29 am

Hell YES! I’ve started doing ‘batch work’ stuff at my workplace and it has changed the game for me. There will always be tasks that overlap and have to be done at the same time but batch-working has helped my mindset, too. I like knowing that I have time dedicated for specific tasks! Hell, I even have it for commenting on blogs 😉 I desperately want to read Charles’s book, so I think it’s about time that I hunt it down and get to reading!

xo, Victoria

• February 2, 2019 / 9:41 pm

Yay! Thanks for much for your comment, Victoria! I totally agree – batch working has changed the game for me too. It’s made me more accountable for certain tasks and I usually ACTUALLY get stuff done now! I hope you love the book – it’s not an easy read, but his points are so accurate and I found it very helpful.

Have a good weekend love. xo

• February 2, 2019 / 9:42 pm

So true! Thanks for reading, Alex! Hope you’re enjoying your weekend! xo

15. Mashibaby
    February 2, 2019 / 8:17 pm

Saying no to people has made them so shocked and they try so hard to turn my no to a yea….

• February 2, 2019 / 9:42 pm

HAHA YES!! I’m so proud of you hearing this right now! Keep it up! xo

16. February 3, 2019 / 12:30 am

Tips #1 and #5 are by far my favorite. Getting everything ready for school/work the night before has saved me soooooo much time and stress, and to-do lists help remind myself of everything I need to do so I don’t get behind and/or procrastinate later on. Thanks for the other awesome tips!

Charlotte | http://www.thisgirlknowsit.com

• February 5, 2019 / 7:38 pm

I agree- getting ready the night before is so key! Thanks for reading, Charlotte! xo

17. February 3, 2019 / 8:16 am

Wonderful tips! Need to keep these in mind with exam season coming up. 😅

18. February 3, 2019 / 11:53 am

Love you tips!! Thank you for sharing!!!

19. February 3, 2019 / 10:35 pm

Fantastic advice! Batch working has really helped me focus on ONE goal at a time and do it well rather than juggle two or three different workloads, & prepping the night before saves SO much time. Thanks for sharing such great tips! 😀

• February 5, 2019 / 7:39 pm

Thanks Tom! I agree- batch working is like the only way I work now because it’s so helpful! So glad you found these useful!

20. February 3, 2019 / 11:55 pm

Amazing post! I do wonder if these things already and there’s a few I’ll be trying! And, making my bed is so important! I just used to and more I feel completely unsettled if it’s not lol

• February 5, 2019 / 7:39 pm

I am with ya Sasha! I feel so sad if I don’t make my bed now, haha. It just throws me right off!

21. February 4, 2019 / 2:12 am

These are great tips. I often fail at #8 & 9, and it can definitely lead to burnout. Going full throttle nonstop isn’t the best way to be productive. Thanks for sharing these!

• February 5, 2019 / 7:40 pm

It’s difficult but just keep trying to stick to them as best you can! Thanks for reading xo

22. lporter18
    February 4, 2019 / 2:49 am

Such awesome tips! Now, only if I can follow them moving forward. We’ll see my friend. Thanks for sharing!

23. February 4, 2019 / 7:37 am

Wow, I love the idea of “time blocking”! That’s great! Also, I once watched this graduation speech that explained that you should make your bed in the morning. That way if you don’t accomplish ANYTHING in the whole day, you at least made your bed. There were a bunch of other reasons he said to make your bed, but that is one that stuck with me. (I hardly ever make my bed.) I agree that being in a clean or de-cluttered area can really change the way you feel. I feel so much better when my room or bathroom is clean.

24. February 4, 2019 / 1:43 pm

These are some really great tips! I use time blocking already but I have never really focused on batch woring. I feel like I might have to give it a try though!

25. Sudipa
    February 4, 2019 / 3:08 pm

these are some greatvtips.very helpful

26. February 4, 2019 / 4:16 pm

Love suggestions 5 and 7 – so important! Turning off your phone can make a HUGE different to your productivity.

27. February 4, 2019 / 6:49 pm

Eating breakfast and staying hydrated is something I definitely need to work. These are such great tips!

• February 5, 2019 / 7:42 pm

Well, noticing what you need to work on means you’re already on the right track! You got this!

28. February 5, 2019 / 1:44 am

These are some great tips. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the turning off the phone one or maybe even putting it in another room. I have started to do this and it helps a lot!

• February 5, 2019 / 7:42 pm

So glad it’s been helping you! I’m useless when my phone is around, haha.

29. February 5, 2019 / 10:46 am

Great tips! I found that my productivity level is extremely low when I didn’t get enough sleep but Netflix and Youtube have been keeping me up all night.

nurulrasya.com

• February 5, 2019 / 7:42 pm

It’s so easy to get sucked into this, isn’t it?! Good luck to you! Xo

30. Kyra
    February 5, 2019 / 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely be using some of these tips!
    -kyra || lovekyra.000webhostapp.com

31. February 5, 2019 / 7:46 pm

These are super great tips. Productivity is something that I struggle with most so I will definitely give some of these tips a try.